1 juin 2008

my world-famous clafoutis recipe

A recipe is probably the last thing people who know me would expect on my blog. But Clafoutis is the one and only recipe I know. I should know more: after all my grand-father Emile was a patissier. He retired at 67 when I was an 8-years-old boy and for a while I lived with my grand-pa and granny in this tiny town in Limousin in the centre of France. He gave up professional cooking and one of the only cake he was still doing occasionally was Clafoutis, a typical and easy pudding from Limousin. He called that 'family pastry' dismissively by contrast to serious patisserie. Emile was doing cherry clafoutis, during the cherry season, and also pear-apple ones in winter. But it actually work with other fruits - I have also tested peach/rasperries and it was a success in several London picnic occasions, if I may say so (unless my friends are good liars).

For 8-10 people
6 eggs
200 ml milk
100g sugar – 6 tpsp
80g flour – 10 tsp
(in fact it is simply, more or less, a pancake dough)

Butter
1 tea spoon of rhum or kirch
Vanilla
Cinnamon

Fruits
- 500g cherries (keeping the kernels in makes clafoutis more juicy and spitting the kernels is part of the fun of this traditional country cake)
OR
- 450g peach, 170g raspberries

Preparation: 25 minutes
Cooking: 45-50 minutes (don't forget it takes an awful lot of time to cool down when out of the oven - I always forget and I arrive late at picnics)

Conversion:
1 tablespoon = 8g flour
1 tablespoon = 15g sugar

Aucun commentaire: