29 mars 2006

brit foot - one old lady, two old men, and young guns (ENG)

On my way to Heathrow and Rome monday I had the most charming and touching chat with an old cab driver, huge Arsenal fan.

‘-Where are you from?
-Isn’t it obvious?
-No. (and here I feel very flattered and decides a generous tip - maybe he was lying)
- I am afraid I am French
- Don’t be ashamed, you beat us in rugby, won the tournament.
- I am not so much into rugby. More a football fan.
- Arsenal huh?’

And there we go. He was sad and sorry that they are going to destroy Highbury and build yuppie flats instead. He fears with the new stadium it will become even more expensive for 'ordinary people' - the real supporters - to get tickets. Many executive lounges in the new stadium you know. Because of executive guys like us... But he wasn't bitter, nice man. I was French, I was wearing a suit and earning the kind of money that raises prices for rents and football tickets in London, and still he was nice to me, contrary to anti-French stereotypes. But as an Arsenal fan you can't be anti-French, can you?

24 hours later on tuesday evening I watched Arsenal v. Juventus in a bar on Via Nazionale in Rome. Little interest for the game in the bar. Roman did not really care, I surveyed cab drivers. There was a bunch of Chelsea jerks who did not give a shit either.

Despite their name, Juventus was overwhelmed by Arsenal’s Youth in its full glory (2-0). Again Fabregas (18) was just magnificent. One paper headlined ‘Who needs Vieira?’ Fabregas makes a terrific season and seems to raise his game when playing the best European teams, how promising! Highly symbolic moment when Pires tackled Vieira, passed to Henry who transmitted to Fabregas, who scored first goal.
Also very warm and moving welcoming from Highbury Vieira at the start.

Henry was fantastic in second half. Drove them mad. Camoranesi and Zebina lost their nerves and Juve finished with nine players. Sadly, Vieira received a yellow card that will deprive him from second leg.

Near to me was a lonely old tiffoso of the Old lady, very dignified gentleman. I felt a bit sorry for him after second goal but young guns were just too good yersterday.

At least another old man was happy back in London.

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit…

Is Wenger on the verge of winning his bet, and the end of the transition period between the old guard and the young guns ?